Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Green Smoothies --What the WHAT??!

Three days ago, The Boy, Two Cats and I celebrated our having been in the US for ONE WHOLE YEAR!! (Third Cat will hit her year next May --we'll be celebrating that, too, don't you worry!)

It's been SO awesome being back home, and with my amazing gift of being able to see my old home through new eyes, I've been trying to look at myself through new eyes, and see what I can do to improve myself, to take care of myself, to love and pamper myself.

So I've decided for a well cared for outside, I need a well cared for inside. And to do that, I've decided to research and try GREEN SMOOTHIES!

These things have been AWESOME! It took a LOT of research to actually get started with them, but once I had a grasp on what I wanted to do, and how I wanted to do it, I got started.

I've been figuring out what fruits and greens work for me (I'm allergic to latex, which means I have a cross-allergy to bananas, a HUGE smoothie staple!) and how much and how often I want to have these smoothies. I've decided to start out having them for breakfast, which --for the two days I've been making them-- have worked SO WELL for me!

I've been learning about "detox" symptoms as well, like headaches, achey muscles and joints, etc., but so far these have been the only symptoms I've had. I'm keeping an eye on how I feel, and these should stop quite soon.

So for yesterday's smoothie, I blended a fresh mango, frozen blueberries (I bought them fresh day before yesterday but froze them myself for the ice element I love so much in my smoothies) spinach and water. NICE!
Today's smoothie was two fresh peaches, six frozen strawberries, spinach, and water. Again, another green smoothie success, though today's wasn't nearly as sweet as yesterday's. It's been quite tasty, though, and VERY fresh --and refreshing!-- and a learning experience. With the lessened sweetness of today's smoothie, I was prompted to look up manuka honey and ended up learning SO MUCH about it.

I've got to run to the grocery store today and pick up some greens and fruits for tomorrow's smoothies. I'm thinking red leaf, cos, or romaine lettuce for the greens, my last mango, and possibly some more blueberries. We'll see later today when I go to the grocery. I'm LOVING combining foods I love, and getting SO MUCH BENEFIT from them! Maybe I'll pick up some manuka honey while I'm choosing my greens? We'll see.

Excitement around the One Girl One Boy THREE Cats homestead!

No comments: